Thursday, March 7, 2013

Shingles is an Old People Thing

I was watching TV with Hana the other night and this commercial came on and it was filled with old people. This commercial was informing old farts about Shingles. This guy was stating how he is 60 something and he thought older people got shingles. Shingles is a strain of the chicken pox that normally affects people 60 and up. After this commercial finished I leaned over to Hana and told her how I had shingles.

Fun fact, I really have already had shingles. And it wasn't even recently. I think I was 11, 12 or 13 years old when I got shingles. I was in middle school! Only 50 years ahead of myself.

I vaguely remember what happened and I'm sure my mom could tell you more about my old person outbreak.I was at a high school band competition with my mom, getting extra credit for band. I remember not feeling well. I remember it was on my back. I don't remember if it was painful, itchy or even if I had a fever. I do remember thought that I couldn't wear a bra because it hurt. I don;t remember how severe it was, I think I had a mild case. But then again. I wasn't even a teenager yet. From what I understand I don't think I will get it again. So when all of you are 60 and get shingles I will laugh. The commercial say 1 in 3 people get it. That's pretty high odds!

2 comments:

  1. Sorry, darlin'. You can get it again. You might not want to laugh when us oldsters get it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And, you can still get the vaccine to help prevent future outbreaks.

    ReplyDelete